– Yea I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for though art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
– The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.
Life is full of uncertainties and in the bigger picture, so completely out of our control. At time this is really overwhelming, especially when we feel so utterly helpless and useless. However God is in control. Whenever these situations arise, he is the person we should confide in for he gives us the strength needed to successfully and triumphantly overcome them.
The footnotes gave some great insight regarding the meaning of the rod mentioned. Traditionally it is an instrument of authority. However it is also used by shepherds to guide, rescue and protect their sheep. This brings to mind the verse in Isaiah 53:6 that says We all like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; [but] the Lord has laid on Him (Jesus), the iniquity of us all. This perfectly coincides with the verses from Psalms because that is exactly what Jesus is – he is our shepherd that guides, rescues and protects us, his sheep.
– God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble.
– The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped.
– It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.